About Open Referral¶
The Open Referral Initiative develops data standards and open platforms that make it easy to share and find information about community resources. Learn more about the initiative at OpenReferral.org.
Open Referral’s ecosystem includes a range of working open source software applications that can be freely redeployed to work with HSDS-compatible data and/or HSDA-compatible APIs. Many of these tools can be found in our Github organization page.
Join Open Referral’s Community of Practice
About This Website¶
To promote participation and accessibility, this website presents the working drafts of the Human Services Data Specification and the Human Services Data API.
The Human Services Data Specification (HSDS) is the technical name for Open Referral’s core data exchange format. HSDS is designed to support the publication of open, inter-operable resource directory data. About HSDS | schema | sample data
Get in touch¶
Questions not answered here? Suggestions for us?
Email us! We can discuss directly, and/or invite you to join us in Slack, where we conduct weekly office hours on Fridays at 12p EST.
- Human Services Data Specification (HSDS)
- Human Services Data API
- Design Principles
- Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Open Referral?
- Who started Open Referral?
- Who is the audience for Open Referral?
- How is this project relevant to me?
- If I maintain a community resource directory — or if I partner with an organization that does — how would I get started?
- How do you address the matter of taxonomy (of types of services and situations)?
- What if I collect important information that isn’t included in the Open Referral specification?
- What if your specification requires kinds of information that I don’t collect?
- What if I need help collecting this data in the first place?
- Who has adapted this project and can I see examples?
- Who do I contact if I need help with this project?
- What languages is this project in?
- If I wanted to help with this project, what is the best way to do that?
- Is the project in active development?
- What is the licensing on this project?